Tuesday 4 April 2017

Newport MP celebrates Bud Light

From my understanding the "beer" factory just outside of Newport at Magor is now producing the delightful Bud Light, something that not even Simon Martin has attempted to wash his car with, yet.
Local MP and holder of all the dirt on disgraced former cabinet minister Ron 'Badger' Davies, Jessica Morden MP for Newport East and the Dodgy Parts of South Monmouthshire recently co-hosted an event in Parliament foe AB InBev who also make Becks, Stella, Boddingtons and Corona at their Magor factory, all with water from the Severn Tunnel (Remember to flush the toilet on train journeys through the tunnel, those beers need all the flavour they can get).
Anyway on the recent beer duty debate debate it appears that AB InBev managed to persuade the MP for Newport West to ask the following question:
I thank the hon. Gentleman for giving way again; he is very generous. On responsible drinking, another change has been the move to lower alcohol beer. Is the hon. Gentleman aware that beer with an alcoholic strength of less than 3.5% is subject to 66% more duty than very high-strength cider at 7.5%? Does he agree that we could do more to incentivise the consumption of beers under 3.5%?
Hansard
A pity the rather gormless Member of Parliament chooses to support multi-nationals producing poor quality beer rather than her local brewery, Castles Brewery, still the GMB union, who represent the workers in the Magor factory continue to pump donations into her, no doubt  to ask questions on behalf of AB Inbev. 

Reminds me of the old song:


The Man That Waters the Workers' Beer

The Man That Waters the Workers' Beer is from the pen of "Paddy Ryan" (Dr. R. E. W. Fisher) written in 1938 when he was a medical student. He recorded the song a year later, with The International, as the first releast of the nascent Topic Records.

I am the man, the very fat man
     That waters the workers' beer
     I am the man, the very fat man
     That waters the workers' beer
     And what do I care if it makes them ill
     If it makes them terribly queer
     I've a car, a yacht, and an aeroplane,
     And I waters the workers' beer.

Now when I waters the workers' beer
I puts in strychnine
Some methylated spirits
And a can of kerosene
Ah, but such a brew so terribly strong
It would make them terribly queer
So I reaches my hand for the watering-can
And I waters the workers' beer:

Now a drop of good beer is good for a man
When he's tired, thirsty and hot
And I sometimes have a drop myself
From a very special pot
For a strong and healthy working class
Is the thing that I most fear
So I reaches my hand for the watering-can
And I waters the workers' beer:

Now ladies fair, beyond compare
Be you maiden or wife
Spare a thought for such a man
Who leads such a lonely life
For the water rates are frightfully high,
And the meths is terribly dear
And there ain't the profit there used to be
In watering the workers' beer:

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails